Hello! Hi! Hey! Howdy! Bonjour! Ohla! Tansi! Hallo! Salut! Aloha! Shalom!
Hello students from Jacksonville, Florida, and from Washington, North Carolina! I am so excited to be given the opportunity to be working with your classes. 🙂 I thought that you would like to know a little bit about me so I took Miss Lipsky’s idea on her 7 Things You Didn’t Know About Me post and made it my own. So here it is: 7 Things About Me!
1. I was born on December 1st, 1986 in Meadow Lake, SK. It is a town of about 5000 people, but even though there are quite a few people living there, everyone seems to know everyone. You can’t walk down the street without waving or saying hello to someone. I lived in Meadow Lake with my mom, dad, and younger sister until I graduated from high school in June 2005 and moved to Regina to attend university.
2. I have always known I wanted to be a teacher. When I was little, I would play school with my sister and cousins and I always was the teacher. We would set up little desks in front of the chalkboard in my grandma’s basement and play all afternoon, stopping though for some of my grandma’s tasty cookies. We had a lot of fun playing school except my students didn’t like it when I would try to assign homework. 😉
3. I wouldn’t trade Saskatchewan’s winters with snow for anything in the world. There are so many fun things you can do in the snow even when it’s really cold, like skidooing, building snowmen, ice fishing, skiing, tobogganing, building snow forts, etc. I am not a big fan of the extremely cold weather we have in SK though (-40 degrees Celsius with the wind chill making it feel like -63 degrees Celsius is not fun) but its only that cold for a few weeks throughout the months of December – February so it really isn’t so bad.
4. I love to get lost in a good book on a cold winter’s day with a cup of hot chocolate and a fuzzy blanket. I also like to get lost in a good book in the summer too when lying on the beach with a class of ice cold iced tea. The best book I have read lately was Twilight by Stephanie Meyer.
5. Travelling is one of my favourite things to do. I am heading to Mexico to escape the frost for a week with my family (I’m leaving on Sunday and am getting really excited!), and flying to Europe for 3 weeks in May with my sister. I have been to Mexico, Jamaica, USA, and a few countries in Europe already, but will be adding 9 more European countries to my list in the next few months. Unfortunately, I have only been to the United States two times: once to go to Disney Land and to Minot.
6. Every summer I enjoy spending time with my family at our cabin at a lake just outside of my hometown. Our summers can get pretty hot (+30 degrees Celsius), so its nice to be able to swim in the fresh water and cool off in the shade of the tall poplar and evergreen trees. I love waterskiing, hiking, playing mini golf, and eating ice cream any day of the summer.
7. My favourite football team is the Saskatchewan Roughriders! They are a team in the Canadian Football League and live here in Regina. I enjoy going to football games with friends dressed in my green jersey. Sometimes it is cold during the games, and since our stadium does not have a closed roof I have to wear my jersey over top of my winter coat. But even when it is cold outside, I cheer my heart out and have a lot of fun!
The internet continues to amaze me. Just when you think you have seen it all, you learn something new. Never in a million years would I have thought that I would be blogging with students who are living in a different country than I am. I will be putting together a slideshow with some pictures of Canada and Saskatchewan to show you a little bit more about my home province for you. Is there anything in particular you would like to see or learn about? Please include where you are from in your comment when answering this question.